The Ham Hock of Liberty

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Sex sells?

That sex sells is not exactly a stunning revelation, but this ad still managed to surprise me:



I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how there is any connection between the image and the text. It looks like the whole calculus went no further than "Put some blondes in bikinis in the ad." Maybe it'll work, too. Maybe this company will get more subscribers from this ad, just because of the women. But don't ads usually make at least a token attempt to connect their product to the skin - maybe showing some underwear model using the company's product, or at least looking at it? If for no other reason, than to give the reader a pretense for his/her lingering eyeballs...

When you don't even try, it's just embarassing. "Hey, we've got phone service. Oh, and here you go. We know you like this sort of thing too." The reductio ad absurdum of the whole thing is just kind of insulting....


5 Comments:

  • Or maybe putting that picture up there WAS a deliberate move, specifically targeting that segment of the male internet population that actively clicks on pictures of blonde chicks in bikinis.

    As if they read.

    P.S. Congrats on the engagement!

    By Blogger Mags, at 1:51 PM  

  • I thought "Do Not Disturb" and "3-Way" seemed... pretty clear, actually.

    By Blogger Eli, at 7:57 AM  

  • LOl as for me.. I loves me some prime cut ;)

    By Blogger karmic, at 11:30 AM  

  • Why am I suddenly so hungry for dog food????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:51 PM  

  • Maybe the word "Packets" has a sneaky resonance with the chestal sections of the bikinis (one white, the other blue)?

    Or is that too abstruse? What do I know, I'm only an elderly girl.

    Li'l Innocent (nice blog, Nim)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home