The Ham Hock of Liberty

Monday, April 03, 2006

Padilla Update

The Supreme Court has decided not to hear the Padilla appeal. From the write-up, it sounds as though the Justices denied the appeal on the grounds that the case was moot.

When I wrote about this back in January, I guessed they'd hear the case, but if they didn't, it would be on the grounds that it was moot when the government decided to transfer Padilla to civilian custody, and not when he was actually transferred in January, after the 4th Circuit's odd little stunt. I'm still poking around trying to find the actual Court order, so I don't know for sure. I'll update when I do...particularly because I'd like to know whether I or a certain "nonpartisan" law professor diva was correct about what all the gamesmanship meant back in January...

3 Comments:

  • Nim, I saved a pretty good screencap of your proxy post on Eschaton, if you'd like it. You can e-mail me at shgstewart at gmail dot com. Well done, by the way.

    By Blogger Interrobang, at 3:07 PM  

  • Well, hell. I suppose that means that Padilla would have to file a case of his own to get the issue back in front of the lilly-livered sidewinders.

    Just because there's a small issue of un-moot suspension of Habeas shouldn't be a reason to hear the case!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:47 AM  

  • This kind of information is very limited on internet. Nice to find the post related to my searching criteria. Your updated and informative post will be appreciated by blog loving people.

    By Anonymous Buy Tricor, at 6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home